[LAU] Who or What is the Mixer (and why titles matter)

Philipp hollunder at lavabit.com
Thu May 6 10:01:07 UTC 2010

Excerpts from J bz's message of 2010-05-06 11:17:22 +0200:
> Hey again,
>
> Thanks a lot to everyone for weighing in with this, really interesting
> stuff.
>
> I guess the kind of term I'm looking for is something that would make it
> obvious to a 'lay' person, what the individual who has a more creative
> approach to the desk does.  Which I think would then widen the concept that
> there is more to the use of the mixer and associated goodies than creating
> what is a simulcrum of a recording.  Within the dub fraternity there is
> already appreciation of that role but I feel it's a little too genre
> specific.  'Mass controller' is a great phrase though I would have to say
> that M.C. is surely Master of Ceremonies originally?
>
> Within contemporary classical music there are some fantastic parts within
> scores for the mixer and associated fx though they are always (so far in my
> research) titled for the objects rather than an individual.  Stockhausen and
> Trevor Wishart being 2 good examples.
>
> There is also an educational aspect for me to this.  I, as I am sure are
> many other people, somewhat concerned about the exponential rise in places
> within higher education for sound engineers and the number of studios that
> are closing down.  Will most trainee sound engineers experience of running a
> serious desk only come from coursework?  I like the idea that it should be
> possible to expand musical horizons in many directions and that many people
> who do music tech should view this as creative training rather than
> technical.  My experience is that many people come into these courses via
> making music rather than a background of maths and physics, so why shoehorn
> individuals into roles they aren't suited too?  I'm wandering and thinking
> aloud here:)
>
> Could this just be titled as 'live producer'?
>
> Cheers again, I'm finding this all fascinating.
>
> Very best wishes,
>
> Jb

I've asked a friend of mine who's doing that kind of thing for
sound safari (http://www.myspace.com/mysticrootssoundsafari) and he
doesn't know of a specific name. He'd call it 'Toningeneur' or 'sound
engineer' or maybe something with dub, but that's genre-specific again.

HTH
--

Regards,
Philipp