[LAU] SSD for audio

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Tue Nov 2 16:55:21 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 12:48:19 -0400
Allan Wind <allan_wind at lifeintegrity.com> wrote:

> On 2010-11-02T16:44:31, Harry Van Haaren wrote:
> > There are RAM-SSD modules available. Plugs in via SATA 300 or PCI or
> > something IIRC...
> > That'd be awesome for anything that needs fast IO & sustained writing.
> >
> > If I remember the company Ill post here, Cheers, -Harry
>
> Fusion-io?

I am currently working in QA for a company that makes storage systems
(NAS/SAN appliances), and had a chance to work with some of the FusionIO
products.  Holy guacamole, they are blazingly fast!  They're pricey, though,
since that kind of speed comes at a premium.

I've also had the chance to work with a number of different SSDs, and have
just purchased one to install into my studio machine.  My experiences at
work lead me to believe that the SSDs now available are reliable and fast
enough for audio work.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com