[LAU] Introduction and questions

Andrew C countfuzzball at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 13:35:37 UTC 2010

Hello Batz, and welcome to the list!

Nice solid hardware based instruments? Wow, since when did computers
suddenly become 'soft'? Forgive my sarcasm, I personally regard all
digital embedded instruments as computers and vice versa.

But on a more serious note, I took a look at the VIA mobos and CPUs,
and to be honest, they don't look too shabby. The VIA c7 CPU has got a
nice hefty range from 1.5GHZ to 2.0GHZ and the mobos support up to 1
gig of RAM (I'm running my muzak making box on 1 gig fwiw). Processing
speed (imo) isn't too much of a consideration if you're using it as a
sampler (1Ghz or over should be fine, maybe even less than that!), but
almost certainly would be if you decide to run synths on it, but
that's a whole other topic.

The biggest deciding factor would be the RAM speed, FrontSide Bus
speed (I think) and how many RPMs the hard drive does (as linuxsampler
is streaming from disk). Also, linuxsampler can run headless, so you
probably wouldn't need X.

This should be fairly simple to set up on linux, just download and
compile linuxsampler or just use your package manager to installed a
pre-compiled binary.

Andrew.