[LAU] livecoding question

Lorenzo Sutton lsutton at libero.it
Mon Nov 22 18:31:53 UTC 2010

paul feitzinger wrote:
> You can do it in Supercollider (example [1]) and in ChucK (example [2])
> (more examples here [3]). These are the two I'm most familiar with.
>
> Neither of them have "check the file and then re-evaluate upon
> changes" built in,
> but...
>
> - you could use scvim [4] for Supercollider and just press F6 on the
> end of the line you want to be interpreted, and there you go. here's a
> table of
> Supercollider Keybindings [5]. and you can access the SC Help Docs [6]
> from scvim with "K".  Be sure to use them. I use sclang in emacs but
> scvim looks like a very similar user experience.
>
> - in ChucK [7] you could use the miniaudicle [8] to do something
> similar. I've not used it myself, but you could just press "replace
> shred" after changing the code, and the thread in the ChucK VM will be
> replaced.
>
> If you'd rather not use the miniaudicle you could use your text editor
> of choice for editing and start chuck with "$ chuck --loop" which will
> start the VM. Then in another terminal you can do "$ chuck --add
> yourfile.ck <http://yourfile.ck>".  Then, once you've made changes to
> yourfile.ck <http://yourfile.ck>, you can
> do "$ chuck --replace 1 yourfile.ck <http://yourfile.ck>" which will
> replace "shred" #1
> with your new one. "$ chuck --status" will show you the current shreds
> and their numberings. Keep in mind that all output from these commands
> will be showing up in the window you ran "$ chuck --loop" in.
>
> you can use "+, =, ^ instead of --add, --replace, and --status,
> respectively.
>
> [1] SC OSC_communication:
> http://supercollider.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/supercollider/trunk/common/build/Help/Control/OSC_communication.html
> [2] Chuck OSC_send example:
> http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/doc/examples/osc/OSC_send.ck
> [3] Chuck Examples: http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/doc/examples/
> [4] scvim: http://x37v.info/scvim/
> [5] SC Keybindings:
> http://supercollider.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/supercollider/trunk/common/build/Help/Other%20Topics/Shortcuts.html
> [6] SC Help Docs:
> http://supercollider.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/supercollider/trunk/common/build/Help/Help.html
> [7] ChucK Hompeage: http://chuck.cs.princeton.edu/
> [8] Miniaudicle: http://audicle.cs.princeton.edu/mini/linux/
>

> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 4:03 AM, Gregory Joyce <gkjoyce at gmail.com
> <mailto:gkjoyce at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I like puredata for sound design because usually once that is set up
>     it's fairly static.  I don't really like "composing" in puredata
>     though.
>
>     So what I am asking is this:
>     Is there some sort of nyquist-like program that will allow me to edit
>     a text file which will send OSC or midi data to PD (or anywhere).
>     Ideally you could have your 'score' up in vim and then the program
> [...]
To be fairer to PD you could also use MIDI in one of the many sequencers
to drive pure data even in a more "creative" way, because basically you
can decide the 'semantics' of incoming midi messages... so you would be
creating scores or whatever in the sequencer (or anything which can
transmit midi) and make it interact with PD. Same goes with OSC of
course (maybe using python)

Lorenzo