[LAU] Creamware/Scope/SHARC/ALSA

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Nov 22 23:59:23 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 6:10 PM, Batz <batzman-lau at all-electric.com> wrote:
> Y-ellow All.
>        I know this is unlikely but I thought I'd better ask before I dismiss
> this notion too lightly. But has anyone managed to get any creamware DSP
> platforms working with ALSA?
>
> I've got a couple of old Creamware cards. A scope fusion and pulsar if
> memory serves. Between them there are 9 SHARC DSPs. Which would be very nice
> should they be able to be pressed into service under linux.
>
> I don't suspect so. Even under windows these things are locked down and
> locked out. I can find a lot of chatter about this but nothing conclusive. I
> even recall someone talking about running csound on one of these things many
> years ago. So I thought I'd tentatively ask just in case I'm missing
> something.

I met with Creamware more than 10 years ago to discuss this. They were
very unenthusiastic about a Linux driver even though I was offering to
do it for free. Unless someone has managed to reverse any aspect of
these very nice devices, I suspect there is little chance of there
ever being a linux driver, and I doubt that anyone has. I've been
wrong before though.

--p