[LAU] Some new things to play with

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Wed Oct 13 14:30:34 UTC 2010

On 10/13/10 16:01, alex stone wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 5:31 PM, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:
>> On 10/10/10 22:10, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> Two new Jack apps are available at the usual place:
>>>
>>> Zita-at1:  Autotuner.
>>> Zita-rev1: Stereo or Ambisonic reverb.
>>>
>>> More info at <http://www.kokkinizita.net/linuxaudio>
>>>
>>> Enjoy !
>>>

>> I'm curious: is there a system behind which colors you choose for each
>> of the parameter knobs for zita-rev1 and zita-at1?
>>
>> It's a minor thing and way beyond 0.1.X, but once you release the plugin
>> API and host-app it'll benefit from consistent coloring of knobs
>> according to function and/or range.
>> For all I know it's likely already on your ToDo list or I've missed
>> something :)
>>
>> Anyway, the knobs are very nice: both in functionality and I like the
>> look & feel.
>>
>> 2c,
>> robin
>
> I think the colours are quite elegant. Cheerful without being aggressive.
>
> And Fons has, most importantly, refrained from using Godzilla Green,
> that terribly saturated affront to eyesight, and good taste, that some
> seem to find necessary in other apps to attempt some semblance of
> affinity with hardware equivalents.
>
> :)
>
> Alex.

sure - I'm not criticizing this - as I said I like the knobs, and I
agree the colors are very aesthetic.

However it would IMHO be even better if the colors were used more
consistently:
  fi: freq related controls: blueish; gain: red; mode settings: green
      time-related: yellow; generic controls: gray
  linear controls could be brighter than log.

Parameters which are more commonly tweaked while the instance is running
could be more saturated as opposed to others that are set just once. but
making that decision is kind of tricky.

I'm just curious if there's more to it than aesthetic and "local"
consistency (zita-rev all the freq-ctrls are gray and the gain is blue;
zita-at1: blue is used for tuning-freq and gray for bias & smoothing)
I don't have access to the NDA zita-eq which may use yet other colors.

ciao,
robin