[LAU] console sequencer

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Thu Apr 7 21:29:11 UTC 2011

Hello Egor1
   Good news and bad news. The bad news first: There is NO MIDI sequencer for
the console, that directly supports jack.
   good news: You can work around that with midish and a few other tools. At
least you can get jack_transport start/stop and clock, so you can sync it to
other audio apps. With a2j midi bridge you can also connect midish to jackmidi
ports.
   I've just uploaded a small script, that starts all the necessary
applications. If you like I can also upload tarballs of the software packages,
since I don't have all the original links and a few of them were hard to find.
http://juliencoder.de/ci_jack_midi.sh
   You need GNU screen, which is a text-based window manager. It's used to load
all the apps on one console and without user interaction.
   You will have to change or comment (put a # infron of the line) the jack
command line.
   You need a2jmidid, which you seem to have.
   You need j2a_midi_bridge, which - if I remember correctly is included with
a2jmidid.
   You need jack_midi_clock a small utility written by Gabriel M. Beddingfield,
if I remember correctly. That's one of the hard to find crew.
   Lastly you need klick a commandline jack metronome by Florian Schmidt.
   There's some half finished work to make the interactive interface more
powerful, allowing start/stop to be send, when you press start/stop and allow
for odd meters like 13/8 and such. If you need that, drop me a lineand I'll
send it to you. Maybe I'll even put in some more work, that Florian suggested.
   you don't need klick, if your audio software supports jack timing info, as
needed for the clock. But if you only work in text, then there is no such
software.
   A word about midish: It's not as nice in a simple way, as cuse, but it's
much more powerful. It has a nice commandline interface like your average
shell (sh/bash). It also has a command language, which allows you to write
procs (functions) for your own convenience and better workflow. It' quite
simple, if you've worked with a shell script before.
   If you need more help, jst say the word. I'll be glad to help you on or
off-ist, whatever suites you best.
   Warmly yours
         Julien

--------