[LAU] Music made with Linux: "move along"

Leigh Dyer lsd at wootangent.net
Sat Apr 30 06:16:38 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I've just finished work on a new track -- it's available for download or
streaming from my blog and from Bandcamp:

http://wootangent.net/2011/04/new-track-move-along/
http://pneuman.bandcamp.com/track/move-along

If you've heard any of my previous electronic works, this will seem
quite different -- it's just piano, bass, drums, and vocals. The
instruments are all soft-synths:

* Pianoteq for the piano sound (the K1 Grand)
* Linuxsampler CVS for drums, using an SFZ mapping of the RockStock kit
from Analogue Drums
* Fluidsynth-DSSI for the bass, using an SF2 file I dug up online

The parts were all sequenced in Qtractor, and then the audio was
recorded in to Ardour 3, along with the vocals, for mixing. I didn't go
crazy with plugins while mixing-- just compressors and filters/EQ (all
Calf), IR with a Bricasti M7 impulse response for reverb, and Rakarrack
with an Ampeg SVT-810 bass cabinet impulse response on the bass. It's
meant to sound like a simple, natural performance on real instruments,
and for the most part I think it achieves that well enough.

I also used the zita-at1 autotuner to do some subtle pitch correction on
the vocals. There were only a couple of notes that really needed
correction, so I turned off automatic correction (by disabling all of
the notes on the scale in the GUI) and then controlled it from a MIDI
track in Ardour, drawing in MIDI notes to trigger the correction just
where it was needed.

Thanks
Leigh