[LAU] What audio interface to use for a Linux-powered surround preamp?

Johan Herland jherland at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 00:41:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 00:19, gene heskett <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> On Monday, December 19, 2011 06:16:06 PM Fons Adriaensen did opine:
>> Be very careful with what you read on 'audiophile' forums. 99% of the
>> high-end audio business is based on ignorance and hype these days.
>
> Chuckle.  I have to disagree a wee bit Fons, you under-estimate the
> percentage that is all smoke and mirrors, its at least 99.9% these days. :)
>
> Lots of card claim 24 bit, but a monotonicity check will often fail before
> the 14th bit has been fully tested.

Is this on pure digital devices (where you should expect bit-perfect results)?

Are you claiming that manufacturers in practice don't meet the specs
listed for their devices?

Does this seem like a trend, or are there just some interfaces with
bugs out there?

Are some brands notoriously worse than others?

(just curious, since one wouldn't want to buy crappy equipment)

Have fun! :)

...Johan

--
Johan Herland, <jherland at gmail.com>