[LAU] LV2, DSSI and the future of plugins

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 13:28:48 UTC 2011

On 1/14/11, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:

> Is that necessarily bad? Maybe there is a dearth of quality native
> plugins, but I'm fine with the plugins that are available currently. And
> I'm happy I don't have to make up my mind which plugins to choose from
> the thousands of plugins available if I would use a proprietary OS.

It's easy to neglect alternatives when you never had many :) We do
have a good selection of native effects, but we are lacking in well
sounding instruments immensively. But then we are back to "what kind
of music do you do" discussion.

The issue goes a little further than quantity/quality relationship.
Some things are plain missing. Luckily gaps are being slowly closed.
E.g. maybe in 2011 we will finally have an LV2 drum sampler (over to
gabaug? :))

> Don't forget native Linux VST's, their number is steadily growing also.
> I think I have about 60 to 70 of those sitting on my harddrive.
> Unfortunately there are very few hosts.

The last sentence quite nails it :)

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org