[LAU] LV2, DSSI and the future of plugins

Philipp Überbacher hollunder at lavabit.com
Fri Jan 14 17:55:04 UTC 2011

Excerpts from Dave Phillips's message of 2011-01-14 14:44:32 +0100:
> Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> > On 1/14/11, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> >> Don't forget native Linux VST's, their number is steadily growing also.
> >> I think I have about 60 to 70 of those sitting on my harddrive.
> >> Unfortunately there are very few hosts.
> >>

> > The last sentence quite nails it :)
> >

> Qtractor's been doing a pretty good job with the native VSTs I've tried
> in it. What really needs done is a repair/rejuvenation of Lucio
> Asnaghi's JOST. A working standalone host for native VSTs would be nice.
>
> I recently purchased Loomer's Sequent, it's a lot of fun. I notice they
> also have a nice-looking synthesizer in their catalog.
>
> The LinuxDSP plugins - in all formats - seem pretty professional to my
> ears and eyes.
>
> Best,
>
> dp

I'm rather happy to hear that JOST and with it native VSTs are on the
decline as they combine the worst problems of both worlds, the license
issues of VST and required porting. Hopefully developers will spend
their time porting to LV2 now.