[LAU] LV2, DSSI and the future of plugins

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Fri Jan 14 22:30:05 UTC 2011

On 01/14/2011 02:54 PM, allcoms wrote:

> It does seem that LV2 is winning in mind-share and support on this list
> and that DSSI has largely been dismissed as an also ran now. I neglected
> to mention native VSTs in my original post. I'm aware qtractor supports
> these but I'm not really interested in qtractor until TYOQTA
> event/release actually happens- I did have a quick go at getting the TAL
> VSTs working under Dreamstudio's qtractor a while back but had no luck
> and didn't bother pursuing it any further. Besides, I've just been
> searching my mail when I quizzed Rui about the native VST support and he
> mentioned a problem or two that I can't quite recall now that I presume
> still exists?

re. qtractor issues with native linux vst:

the problem is only on the juce based ones. as it seems, the juce vst
framework is strongly tied with the gui infrastruture so that, in
practice, you are supposed to always open the gui editor no matter what.
i mean always, as soon as you load the plugin(.so) into address space
that is. if you fail to do so, the whole host environment gets hosed and
doomed to crash or, if you're lucky, just hang :)

that's the reason for this often strange qtractor option:
  Dummy VST plugin scan (RECOMMENDED)
this will just make the perennial assumption that all native vsts are
all the same, namely a stereo vsti, with no further questions when
listing available native vst plugins. if you ever turn this off and in
any circumstance it happens to exist a juce based plugin in the search
path... well, you've been warned ;)

cheers
--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela