[LAU] OSC - where to start?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Jan 26 17:16:57 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:51 AM, James Morris <jwm.art.net at gmail.com> wrote:
> Quite a lot of different replies. But which would be the best place to
> start for someone who doesn't know any of python, supercollider,
> csound, chuck, algoscore, etc etc?
>
> Why is OSC support not more widespread?

because there are almost no standards for OSC. this is not a protocol
like MIDI that defines semantics. there is no standard way, for
example, to tell an "OSC supporting app" to "start playing". an OSC
sender has to know a lot about the OSC receiver. this severely limits
OSC's usefulness (but does not make it zero by any means).

> For instance, could/should there be an OSC tab in QjackCTL?

could there be? if someone added OSC port support to JACK (which is
relatively easy to do), sure.

> Should we not be able to create tracks in
> muse/qtractor/seq24/rosegarden that output to OSC to provide all the
> advantages OSC gives over MIDI?

ardour4 will support this. for whatever that's worth.