[LAU] rt kernels

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at folkwang-hochschule.de
Fri Jun 10 12:04:40 UTC 2011

On 06/09/2011 01:23 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> And your brain ;).
> I'm not sure if it's a myth or true, it's said that stroboscope effects
> can cause epileptic shocks even for averaged people. (Hopefully this
> won't cause a discussion as the one about 'time'. ;)
> A vertically frequency of 60 Hz won't cause an epileptic shock, but at
> least effect your well-being.

have you considered getting a tft display and retiring your tube monitor?
the energy savings will very likely balance the cost within a year, plus
you get lots of extra desk real estate. and no stroboscope, ever.
and if you don't rely on excellent wide-gamut color reproduction, even
the cheapest tfts should be sufficient.

when i was using crts, i found i also needed at least 85hz to be
comfortable, particularly in the office, where you'd be turning your
head often and then see the strobing trail in the corner of the eye -
very confusing. for the same reason, i still don't like DLP projectors -
i don't see rainbows when looking straight on, but as soon as the head
moves, i feel like i just popped a handful of mushrooms.