[LAU] ardour3 video -- was Re: Berklee Certification

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Tue Sep 27 20:19:45 UTC 2011

Hi Seablade,

On 09/27/2011 08:49 PM, Thomas Vecchione wrote:
> Robin out of curiosity, will the a3vtl still allow for sync across
> multiple machines?

yes.

> I ask only because on occasion I would love to use
> a machine as a basic VTR and that was what I considered one of Jadeo's
> strengths.

[x]jadeo does not change. Besides, the system is designed for using a
separate machine for video. But there is no wizard/dialog or doc how to
set this up, yet.

Basically ardour just launches and controls xjadeo. The command to
launch xjadeo can be overridden (with the XJREMOTE environment variable)
- you can replace it with a script that ssh's into your VTR box.

At first I thought netjack/jack-transport or MTC to be a prerequisite,
but even sending video-seek commands via an ssh-pipe over LAN is <5 ms
latency; actually around 1-2ms on average. quite sufficient for the real
world.

Currently I NFS mount the video-storage onto the machine running
ardour3. That allows to browse and select video-files from the ardour3
GUI as well as use the video-file(s) for muxing on export (for various
reasons the ffmpeg exporter is currently limited to run on the same
machine as ardour3 does).

ciao,
robin