[LAU] EMail To Tascam - HARDCORE COLD HARD FACTS PART 2 - READ THIS TRUTH !!!

Charles Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 20:25:37 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 3:11 PM, Louigi Verona <louigi.verona at gmail.com> wrote:
> To chime in suddenly, anyone who works in a large company knows that emails
> in general indeed go to standard support. If you are responsible for
> something, very rarely do you get direct feedback. And if, as a client, you
> suddenly receive a warm encouraging response, chances are this person has no
> authority to make actual decisions.
>
> Linux is very unlikely to be considered by most manufacturers, in my view
> and experience. Among top management, i.e. people who make actual decisions,
> free software is a vague risky concept. They would prefer to surrender to
> Microsoft or Apple rather than go for Linux - for the most part. They think
> stereotypes and rarely know reality of the "lower decks".

What I don't get is that, for the most part, developing software and
hardware under Linux is much more straightforward and economical.

Sure-to sell your products, you should go after the big fish--but
really, the *first* platform to develop for should be Linux.  You'd
put in the bulk of your hours just getting the thing to work and then
hire a developer to port the drivers to Windows and OSX.

Maybe it's an engineering and hiring trap--Companies hire engineers
with experience.  Experienced engineers use the tools they learned to
use at prior jobs.  The companies invest in software and development
tools.  Then, they expect to hire engineers who are already trained
using those tools.

If you can't join 'em, beat 'em!

Chuck