[LAU] persisting jack connections (was DC offset)

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Feb 3 11:28:28 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 5:01 AM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody at gmail.com> wrote:

> When I tried this a few days ago, firefox showed as
> alsa-jack.rawjackC(somenumber)
> and audacity showed as portaudio(something)
>
> Now both are showing as alsa-jack.rawjacksomething.

you've made JACK the default ALSA device, so that portaudio connects
to it even when apparently using ALSA.

> pcm.!default {
>     type plug
>     slave { pcm "rawjack" }
> }

audacity & portaudio have *bad* JACK support. the .asoundrc file isn't
a workaround for that. portaudio's support isn't bad in and of itself,
but audacity insists on opening and closing its "device" every time it
starts and stops playing. totally broken system when combined with
JACK.