[LAU] OS for realtime operation

Raffaele Morelli raffaele.morelli at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 07:02:36 UTC 2012

2012/1/9 Moshe Werner <moshwe at gmail.com>

> Hi Raffaele,
>
> thanks for the reply!
>
> My needs would be:
> Mainly tracking (by now up to 8 channels at given time).
> Mixing and monitoring - Yep
> Realtime fx - also yes.
>
> Tried AVlinux and found it to be pretty cool, but its 32 bit and till now
> I'm used to 64 bit and wouldlike to keep using the more advanced PC
> technology. (Finally when Protools 11 takes the leap into 64bit technology
> it would be sad to see my Linux system going backwards).

in this case debian AMD64 would be your choice. I am actually running it on
a dell workstation with Intel Xeon CPU @ 2.50GHz
64bit releases are on debian official branch since debian etch (
http://www.debian.org/ports/amd64/)

As someone pointed you don't need an RT kernel if DON'Tt want to record
16tr+monitoring+fx, 48Khz and 2.67ms latency :-)

Moreover, bear in mind that a lightweight desktop environment is what you
want for your system unless you have tons of ram and cpu cycles to spend :-)

So, whatever your choice will be, you should avoid fatter ones such kde or
gnome and try instead awesome, fluxbox, xfce.

regards
-r

--
*L'unica speranza di catarsi, ammesso che ne esista una, resta affidata
all'istinto di ribellione, alla rivolta non isterilita in progetti, alla