[LAU] bitwig announcement

Alan Russell ajrussellaudio at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 18:27:40 UTC 2012

So much overreacting up in this thread.

There are big free software communities on Windows and to a lesser
extent Mac platforms, and obviously there are commercial developers
for both platforms. They co-exist more or less peacefully.

The only difference with Linux is that the whole user base IS a free
software community. Big corporations writing paid apps with Linux
support is not going to put off the legions of "little guys" who have
been collectively working for decades on free software just out of the
love of doing it.

Also, let's not kid ourselves on - Bitwig is not a Linux app, it is a
cross-platform app that happens to support Linux. No one is going to
install Ubuntu just to run Bitwig. It's not going to bring anyone over
to Linux, neither did Renoise or energyXT, both cross-platform
closed-source commercial apps on Linux. It's just going to be
available to those who want to run it on Linux, because they make
music on Linux already. Take it from a recent convert - we Win/Mac
users aren't stupid, we know that Linux is all about the FLOSS. It's
stuff unique to Linux like JACK that is going to bring users over, not
the stuff that we can install anyway.

Alan Russell
ajrussellaudio at gmail.com