[LAU] FireWire audio on Linux: past, present and future

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 14:23:13 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 10:13 AM, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com>wrote:

> Excellent article/interviews. However, it ignores a rather salient
> development - the gradual disappearance of Firewire from desktop and laptop
> machines. The last time I shopped I was surprised to see that FW, like PCI,
> is becoming rare hardware, presumably due to improved performance from USB3
> (?).

Firewire has always been rarer hardware.   USB3 has provided an alternative
but really it isn't that cause of FW's disappearance, at least in as far as
audio/video hardware etc. is concerned.  PCI-E on the desktop and
Thunderbolt surprisingly seems to be doing a better job of that with
product announcements lately.

             Seablade