[LAU] looking for command-line/scriptable mastering software

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Nov 25 23:11:29 UTC 2012

On Sunday 25 November 2012 18:02:12 Grekim did opine:

> On 11/25/2012 04:51 PM, J. Liles wrote:
> > On Sun, Nov 25, 2012 at 6:14 PM, Grekim <grekimj at acousticrefuge.com
> >
> > <mailto:grekimj at acousticrefuge.com>> wrote:
> >     Sorry it was taken in an insulting way.  I have a lot of respect
> >     for what you guys have done and do.  I would gladly pay (you) for
> >     software that is relevant to me.
> >
> >     I don't think the code is a mess at all.  It runs very
> >     efficiently...I had to master an 18 minute track and it did the
> >     processing and file creating in around 20 seconds.  Sure, I could
> >     break things off into more functions and name variables more
> >     descriptively.
> >
> >     I know it will not make money, but some of the effects, however,
> >     may be sellable as AU or VST plug-ins.  Still, I'd rather just
> >     focus on Linux development.
> >
> >     If my software is irrelevant than no one should care about the
> >     source code, no?
> >
> >     If your feelings are pretty much the general feeling here then I
> >     will go.
> >
> >     Grekim
> >
> > My desire isn't that you leave, it's that you become a part of the
> > community by sharing your code. People are offering you expert advice
> > in this thread, but you offer nothing to the community in return. Your
> > binary is nothing; it's ephemeral, it's an artifact of the code you
> > keep hidden . There is no future in your closed-source software.
> > People don't want to invest their time in working with a tool they
> > they aren't allowed to understand or fix when it breaks. You may
> > appear willing to fix/improve it now, but how long will that last?
> > When you accept advice or request feedback without sharing your code,
> > you come off as a parasite--and I'm tired of hearing about this
> > software (much as I'm tired of hearing about mixbus, reaper, etc.)
> >
> > Certainly, there are people on this list who do not really care about
> > freedom, but there are practical concerns as well as philosophical
> > ones--freeware does not inspire confidence.

> Indeed that is alluring, that your code can live on long after you do
>
> :)  That is the selfish side of things.  The unselfish side is, of
>
> course, that we all share and benefit from each other and code
> potentially moves along at a faster pace.
> I do not so much fear sharing with the community here, but it's the
> "outside" world that can freely steel your code that bothers me, and in
> some cases it really is a formula you might be giving away.
> I will give open-source some serious consideration and it honestly may
> not happen for awhile.  In the meantime, I will refrain from making any
> further announcements or leaving any impression of promoting my work.

Please, read the GPL again, all versions.  GPLv3 in particular gives the
legal teams at places like the Free Software Foundation or the Electronic
Freedom Foundation, the legal power, if you assign the copyrights to them
(this is required so they have standing in a court of law to bring the suit
in the first place), to go after the thieves and cheats.  Generally they
get compliance with the GPL, but there have also been some cases where the
violators have been fined some quite decent sums of money.  You won't get
much if anything, but rest assured, the thieves and cheats WILL be brought
to heel, at no cost to you.

There are exceptions to that of course, does anyone here remember how much
those 2 blackbox coders collected?

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
"I found out why my car was humming.  It had forgotten the words."