[LAU] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Sun Feb 17 21:22:43 UTC 2013

On Wednesday 13 February 2013 23:09:47 Al Thompson wrote:
> On 02/13/2013 02:26 PM, drew Roberts wrote:
> >> Well, the Pengiun folks are breaking a law, since the things they copy
> >> are public domain.
> >
> > Is it safe to assume that that is a typo and you meant they are not
> > breaking the law since those works are in the public domain?
>
> Yes, that's a safe, and correct, assumption!!!  Dang it!
>
> >> They are not infringing any copyrights, and are not
> >> making use of someone's property illegally.
> >
> > When did the book go from being the property of Dickens or his heirs to
> > being the property of the public? Does a bit of land work that way? Or a
> > sofa?
>
> I would have to research Dickens' works, but I know that at one time,
> copyrights were issued for a fixed term of years (17 comes to mind), and
> could be renewed once.  Then the laws were changed so that a copyright
> was good for some number of years after an author's death.

Right but does your land or sofa pass into the publics possession after a
period of time?

> > How can the Penguin folks make money printing and selling these books
> > when any other company anywhere in the world can do the same without
> > paying them a fee?
>
> Maybe there's not a market for it, since the material is available for
> free.

There is a market for it. I have bought such books in the past and will
happily do so again.

> >> From what I've seen, people buy pirated DVDs because they either don't
> >> have a DVD burner, or they believe that it is safer to buy it for cash
> >> at some flea market where there is no paper trail leading to them.
> >
> > So, why do they buy from the people who do not support the artists they
> > like rather then from the people who do support the artists they like?
> > What drives them to do this to bands they love?
>
> They probably buy from the pirates for the reasons I stated, plus the
> fact that the pirates sell their pirated DVDs for $5.  Everyone claims
> to love a particular band and their music, but nobody considers that by
> buying the pirated DVD or CD, they are denying their "favorite artist"
> whatever income they should have gotten from the sale of that CD/DVD.

And so the artist is not doing a decent job of communication with his fans
then right?

You are aware that people are rasining up front money from fans to make their
albums right?

all the best,

drew