[LAU] USB2 Audio, PreSonus Audiobox 1818VSL -- was: Sound Devices USBPre2, UAC2 status

Louis Gorenfeld louis.gorenfeld at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 22:17:38 UTC 2013

Hi,
  There are some glitches in the current ALSA (1.0.25) implementation
of UAC2, at least when used with the 1818VSL. It does mostly work (in
UAC2 mode, too). What I have noticed, aside from the click, is this:

- The sample clock selector doesn't work by default. I made a patch
that addresses this:
http://mailman.alsa-project.org/pipermail/alsa-devel/2013-January/058141.html

- The mixer control names are all prefixed with "AudioBox 1818 VSL
Clock Selector" (which is the name of the first control)

- Note that there are two mutes in the mixer-- one per-channel and one
master mute. The same is true of input muting. If you're not hearing
anything, check this first.

- Don't turn it off when an audio stream is processing or it'll risk a
kernel panic. Or, at least, that has been my experience.

- There appears to be a general compatibility issue with i7 and the
PreSonus (cross-platform; it'll happen on Windows too). I believe this
is a known bug that is being addressed. This manifests as a subtle
click once a minute or so, from the machine I tried it on.

Lemme know how it works out for you!

-Louis