[LAU] External USB 2 HD for real-time recording

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sat Mar 9 17:44:05 UTC 2013

On 03/09/2013 05:39 PM, Peder Hedlund wrote:
> Quoting Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net>:
>

>> "All WD external hard drives will spin down (enter into power saver
>> mode) after 10 minutes of drive inactivity. Once the drive is accessed
>> again, the drive will exit from the power saver mode and spin back up.
>
> If it's designed to spin down it's probably also designed to be able to
> handle that.

Don't count on it. Joern recently told me about his experience with
similar "Green" WD drives where the drive died for him after a few month
of continued use. He mentioned something about a special windows driver
that controls the spin up/down cycles for WD drives, but I did not
bother to inquire the details.