[LAU] LightWorks for Linux Demo

david gnome at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Mar 17 02:23:52 UTC 2013

On 03/16/2013 03:39 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Sat, 2013-03-16 at 17:21 +0400, Louigi Verona wrote:
>> Hey Chris!
>>
>> I enjoy a Coca-Cola and McDonald's sometimes. What's so bad about
>> them? Just don't overeat and you'll be fine.
>
> Yes, Coca Cola has a special taste and a lot of people like that taste,
> it's not only a drug, but for McDonalds it's different. You can get
> better fast food for the same money, but not that easy, because a
> McDonalds is around each corner.

Hmm. I've found many places that provide better fast food, but NONE for
the same money. All I've seen charge more than McDonalds. Some proudly
so; I think they're trying to imply that because their food costs more,
it must be better.

McDonalds has a very well-developed, efficient, refined and managed
process for supplying food to their restaurants while maintaining the
quality their customers buy and controlling the cost. It's very hard for
competitors to match that process, let alone beat it.

If Linux became the foundation for a similarly-efficient music
production process that provides the "quality" (a very vague term when
applied to music!) that customers (another vague term: a customer I
might love to have might be the one that someone else would LOATHE) buy,
I think the improvement in funding would only help Linux music
production software get better. Get more competitive with the Mac and
Windows software setups. As long as it continues to be FLOSS, and
doesn't get locked up in proprietary products that run on Linux, the
Linux software's monetary cost will always be less.

> Btw. if I would be in a country known for hygienic issues, I would go to
> McDonalds myself, since I expect the same "quality" in each country,
> even if the food IMO is crap with a bad taste, it's hygienic and it's
> food.

That's one reason why people all over America pick McDonalds. When
McDonalds started out, one of the differentiators it brought to the
hamburger place market was consistent taste and quality. Before
McDonalds, you took your chances when traveling. One hamburger place
might be great. The next might give you food poisoning! Americans
traveling internationally just took that attitude with them and applied
it to environments where local food was much more questionable (for very
real reasons, sometimes).

--
David
gnome at hawaii.rr.com