[LAU] Debian DAW experiences

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Mon Sep 1 20:12:53 UTC 2014

linux-audio-user:

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.  :-)

Here's the updated wish-list for a DAW Linux distribution:

1.  Works correctly.

2.  Is efficient in both space and time.

3.  Offers a kernel suitable for DAW use at install time.

4.  Offers current DAW software binary packages.

5.  Provides simple OOTB *user* and *administrator* experiences -- e.g.
minimal technical wrenching around under the hood.

6.  Provides small (<32 MB) bootable USB and/or CD installer images.

7.  Provides a package manager that only downloads what the user
requests or approves.

8.  Provides an optional package caching proxy server (for networks of
machines that share an Internet connection).

Notes:

a.  Music is my hobby.  I plan to use the DAW for home/ amateur projects
and/or performances.

b.  The laptop is a Dell Inspiron E1505 with an Intel Core Duo T2250 @
1.73 GHz, 1 GB RAM, and Intel 520 series 180 GB SSD.  I understand that
this machine is obsolete and will have limited capabilities.  I am
primarily evaluating the Linux distribution and the software it
contains.  I have more powerful hardware available if/ when needed.

I will post updates as I work to find a solution.

David