[LAU] another cpu question

Ede Wolf listac at nebelschwaden.de
Sat Sep 13 17:44:19 UTC 2014

Thanks for reply.

it is kind of live use. But not on stage, but in my humble homestudio.
So I do not have to be mobile, but I am not arranging, I am just playing
live - that is, enjoy turning a lot of knobs without any real clue. And
if it sounds crap for a given day, I at least do enjoy all the blinking
lights.

The card is an old RME Hammerfall (not even DSP), and I'll be using X
with a standard distro. Gentoo or Arch - or maybe KX, if they really
should drop ubuntu as a base, as I've read somewhere. Depending on the
software I'll be using in the end.

So we are talking about a simple desktop PC in a tower case with an 21"
CRT Monitor.

About multitrack: Being able to run 32 effects (8 Tracks x 4) would be
great, 16 tracks perfect, but my budget is not infinite and I doubt I'll
really use 16 Tracks at once. And most likely not really reverb on all
tracks, that is just the worst case to find out a proper CPU.

However, there will be differnt rooms on different tracks. There is
still an external master reverb inserted into main mix. If so desired.

Maybe I'll try to control some of the effects via Midi - I do own an old
Doepfer Drehbank controller, but not sure, wether I'll have the patience
to program it before winter. Maybe handy for the EQ. But it's also
occupied for the microwave II.
However, EQing with a mouse is a PITA and something I will have to solve
sooner or later. Way worse then setting up reverb or delay. imho.

I do not plan to use effects via aux sends, just stack one on top of the
others in a serial manner - as if I would do, if I had 8 hardware effect
devices plugged into my mixer.

There won't be any mixing (as in mastering) - at least not on this box,
I am oldfashioned and need real faders. I do have another box for
recording - mostly straight to /dev/null, that is unfortunately.

This box will just be plugged into the inserts of my mixer - therefore
the ideal of 16tracks - which I suppose will be cheaper and better to
use than buying a couple of multieffects. I do not have any more ADDA
convertes anyway. And for my lousy ears, the quality of named plugins is
more than adequate.

So it's basically -> jack-in->effect1-effect2-effect3-effect4->jack-out
with 16 permanent physical connections bewteen soundcard and mixer.
Though not all of them will be used at once.

I do have the soundcard (which I finally do inted to use properly after
all those years) and the ADDA converters, the screen, SSD and the case.
All I need is a mainboard, CPU+cooling and some RAM. And maybe an el
cheapo graphics card, if going the AMD route.

I doubt I'll get usable multitrack hardware for that money.  Sure, I am
screwd if one of those parts breaks, it's all yesterdays jam and hard to
get besides waiting for ebay.

The price limit is a bit difficult as prices are varying between
countries. As I've said, an upper class intel i5 or AMD is about what I
am thinking of, until general consesus is, that there is no way to
accomplish this with standard, upper class (as opposed to high end) PCs.
Then maybe I'll wait a little more and save some money.
But, as you mentioned, I do remeber running softwareeffects, even not
really in parallel, way back on an 2GHz AMD 3200 in decent quality even
on WIndows, so a modern multicore, I would suspect, should be able to
run a couple of them. Just which would be the best bet.

For hardware devices: Behringer is out of discussion. As is Alesis. I do
have a couple of midiverbs and found the quality of calf to be way
better. If maybe not for the algorithms, then at least for the noise level.
Indeed, I am planning to sell those. For peace with my drumheads and of
course for better useability.

So again - are plugins really FPU heavy? Or would it be more important
to have feature X, like AVX or SSE27 or so? Unfortunately I am not
really into this recent hardware stuff and all the latest buzzwords.

And I usually do not trust benchmarks, but that's all I have and the FX
series did quite well in some so called media benchmarks, like
rendering, however, I am not sure whether this can be tranferred to
running multiple audio effects without problems. AS maybe rendering is
just two fast threads instead of 16 medium ones. Dunno.

The price advantage for the AMD would probably be eaten up by the more
expensive colling - I prefer it rather quiet - and the higher energy
bill. But if it would be the more adequate CPU for this very workload, I
would go that route.  i7 are all HT, so that would leave the i5 as only
other option.