[LAU] Common DAW session save / import

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Sun Sep 14 13:56:33 UTC 2014

On Sunday 14 September 2014 09:25:01 Paul Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 12, 2014 at 4:15 PM, Russell Hanaghan <
>
> hanaghan.osaudio at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hmm, $60us by the looks? Not too much money by any means if it works
> > reliably.
> >
> > Just curious if any devs are into writing something simple? I can provide
> > testing assistance only. Just sounds like a cool and relative thing to
> > have
> > in the open source world.
>
> when it comes to translating from one DAW format to another, there is no
> such thing as "simple".
>
> the people behind AATranslator are a veritable font of knowledge about this
> stuff, and it cannot be stressed enough how much work they have done and
> how much they have had to discover.
>
> no other attempt at such a tool has ever succeeded - there was one other
> tool which Solid State purchased but its existence now seems hard to spot.

Yep. I had tried to start an openDAW discussion/project a few years back, with
a common XML-based intermediary referencing pcm files/segments. The existence
of a proprietary-binary "AAF" library was called to my attention with some
intent of releasing a XML/text based version. A few DAW programs support AAF.
Have not heard much since.