[LAU] mplayer no go with snd-hdsp

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Sep 18 01:22:57 UTC 2014

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 4:56 PM, Brent Busby <brent at keycorner.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Sep 2014, F. Silvain wrote:
>
>  I suggest the same as Giso. If you are learning music, you might want to
>> use other audio apps at the same time anyway. So go for the JACK Audio
>> Connection Kit. I've used it ever since I started with Linux. I don't have
>> an RME, but I have a multichannel audio interface.
>>

> I have the Multiface II, and it's nearly impossible to address through raw
> Alsa without some deep kung-fu.  Though Jack you should be able to see all
> of its i/o's and use it with MPlayer or whatever you want.

The multichannel RME devices do not support being opened with less than
full channel counts or with the wrong sample format. Any approach that ends
up using plughw:CARDNAME should work just fine. For some, using such a
device name will be deep kung-fu, for others not so much. And it may depend
on the application how easy it is.