[LAU] Debian DAW experiences

Atte atte at youmail.dk
Thu Sep 18 08:56:49 UTC 2014

On 09/18/2014 09:16 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>  I never ever would use a computer
> (excepted of special stand alone devices) for professional work, or on
> stage.

Which makes me wanna share an experience: Years ago I was hired to do
some gigs as an added, second keyboard player. I was running linux
(debian stable, but that doesn't matter) with all sounds from a homemade
csound setup and three usb keyboards. My setup ran flawlessly, whereas
the regular keyboard had to reboot his yamaha (motif something, I think)
a few times, AFAIR even once during a gig. That much for "hardware"
synths. BTW: I normally take my korg m50 on stage most of the time, when
it's just regular keyboard playing.

> Tests
> with openbox I'm doing at the moment shows that openbox at least on my
> computer is buggy.

It's running smooth here...

> It's
> important to know what you are using, when you say "etc.". Linux could
> be relatively good reliable, but you need to avoid usage of some
> software, e.g. plugins.

Extremely true!

I prefer software developed by people with zero tolerance to bugs.
Renoise (although being far from perfect) is one good example of that. I
can't remember when I last had a crash in renoise, in fact not sure I
ever did. Been running it since round 2009...

--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk