[LAU] master levels

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Mon Feb 2 15:06:29 UTC 2015

On Sun, 01 Feb 2015 23:40:45 -0600
Brent Busby <brent at keycorner.org> wrote:
> Of course, in the old analog tape world, they used to shoot for zero,
> maybe a little hotter if you wanted some saturation.  In digital, they
> say mix to about -3 or -4db.  And mastering houses seem to want more
> headroom than that (-6 or 7db), even though in priciple, with 24-bit
> resolution, they could just adjust it themselves without changing it
> timbrally (true?).  Why do they care what your maximum level is as long
> as it's 24-bit and it's not clipping?

A side note:
Check the type of meter Ardour uses for the master channel.  I wondered
why my Ardour masters always seemed quiet, then realized that the master
bus used a different meter type (K20?  I can't remember) than all the other
tracks.  When I changed to the same meter type (Peak, I think) I saw that I was
actually mixing to a lower value than I thought.

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com