[LAU] Audio over WIFI

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sat Jan 17 23:54:40 UTC 2015

Hi Len,

On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 15:19:59 -0800 (PST), Len Ovens wrote:
> No I am not asking if audio over WIFI is a good idea  :)

:D

> But I thought some might be interested in this:
> https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/432967670/jack-the-wifi-guitar-cable

"Normal/classical" radio technology for audio and MIDI, connected by
"normal" analog IOs, MIDI IOs, in my limited experiences seems to be
more reliable. I never was able even to get a stable connection for an
iPAD remote control to my Linux PC using an WiFi USB thingy. Regarding
audio by radio technology, WiFi or what ever, I also have doubts
regarding good pre-amps. Cables are not only bad, they've got some
advantages.

"we are audio geeks so we want to do it right"

That's untrue, since they mention "studio". It's ridiculous to think
about connecting a guitar in a studio by WiFi, even if it should work.
Nobody seriously will add unneeded electric smog. Sure, in a video
studio wireless microphone sometimes for good reasons are used, but I
never saw this in an audio studio. Studios should use cables and
there's no need to have "worn" cables in a studio. The first thing a
trainee learns is to roll up cables correctly, to test and repair
cables or to trash cables that can't be repaired.

2 Cents,
Ralf