[LAU] Ardour: use case for monitor plug-in ?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Fri Feb 12 22:36:58 UTC 2016

On Fri, Feb 12, 2016 at 04:41:36PM -0500, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:

> Good question.  Another one would be how are the room corrections
> managed regarding the final mix ?  To this I would tend to think that
> monitor room corrections would be acknowledged as being temporary eg.
> people would explicitly know that what they hear is not final (well,
> it's not since this is not the final mix, but you know what I mean).

If I understand correctly what you mean, then I must disagree.

The purpose of room correction is to improve your monitoring.
So if it's done well, your monitors plus room plus correction
become the reference. The whole point is that the correction
provides better monitoring, and then there is no reason to
ever switch it off, regard it as 'temporary', or think that
without correction you'd get a better mix. It becomes part
of your studio, and users shouldn't even know it's there.

> Or, is it possible to actually make room corrections while maintaining
> fidelity to what is recorded ?

The whole point of room correction (in a recording studio) is
to improve the fidelity, to get a more objective monitoring.

Of course you could set up a room correction by manually
tweaking things until you get a more pleasing result on
an existing mix, but by doing that you'd just be fooling
yourself. That's not how it should be done.

> Is there a way to calibrate this ?

Use the measurements and procedures as explained in the DRC
manual. You end up with two (for stereo) impulse responses
which can be used by any convolution engine, e.g. jconvolver.

Logically any room correction should not be part of the
(Ardour or other) session - it's part of your studio, and
must not be used anywhere else. So I'd keep it external,
and not in a plugin.

Ciao,

--
FA