[LAU] RFV: LV2 Gtk2 UIs crashing Qt5 QTractor and MusE at same place

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Mon May 2 15:03:18 UTC 2016

On 05/02/2016 03:38 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Mon, 2 May 2016, Tim E. Real wrote:
>
>> Hi list. Requesting verification of a bug:
>>
>> After upgrading from *buntu 14.04 LTS to 16.x, the LV2 Gtk2 UIs
>> such as Calf and others crash upon opening them in both
>> Qt5 QTractor and Qt5 MusE-3, at these similar calls:
>
> Hmm, was going to say not a problem here... however, the about box tells
> me the default qtractor in 16.04 is not qt5 (after they made such a
> noise about making sure qjackctl was qt5) My complaint is more along the
> lines that so few plugins get listed. I have a lot more lv2 plugins than
> show up. So I am wondering where I have plugins that qtractor doesn't look.
>
> I do know that one difference from 14.04 to 16.04 is that gcc5 was
> introduced and that complicated things for plugins which need to match
> the host, but I have not had that problem either.

this is all about qt5 as being the new yellow brick road.

qt4 is phased out, don't rely on it. period. we're in 2Q2016 already.

problem with some LV2 hosts and their plugin GUIs is that Qt5 is
ditching its former reliance on X11 at the API level, moving one step
up over the stack to XCB. and all that is abstracted enough, sorry to
tell. that wasn't the case with Qt4/X11 back then

strange things happens (and some sort of sh*t often do) when old
landscapes (like qt4) are still under view beneath the mist

myths and conspiracy theories... start to blossom... ;)

cheers
--
rncbc aka. Rui Nuno Capela