[LAU] DAW file format

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sun Sep 11 21:39:00 UTC 2016

On Sun, Sep 11, 2016 at 5:22 PM, Alf Haakon Lund <alf at mellomrommet.no>
wrote:

> It seems to me that most DAWs on linux are 'operating on' WAV files.
> However I see there are other options, like in Ardour's
> session/properties/media tab
>
> Except for losing the 4 GB limit on file size, are there other advantages
> of using for example broadcast rf64?

metadata, primarily.

> Will Ardour just change the default once I change this setting, and is it
> safe to change on a work in progress?

It will not change the format of files already created by Ardour; it will
change the format of all files created after you make the change.  Since
Ardour can read and write all the formats it claims to support, it doesn't
care if a session uses files all in a single format, or in a mixture of
formats.