[LAU] Jack & pulse...knickers in a twist.

Mac macdroid53 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 18:09:48 CEST 2018

On Sun, Jun 3, 2018 at 11:16 AM, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Jun 2018, Mac wrote:
>
> As I said, I checked it, nothing is muted and all are at 100%.
>>
>> What am I missing...
>>

> Ok, simple things first. have you verified with meterbridge or something
> similar, that there is audio (needle movement) going to the system output
> ports? Have you tried connecting your audio source to all audio outputs?

Yes, used meter bridge, yes there was movement.

That said, since my last post I booted to the original os on this laptop
(it is a system76, so it came with vanilla Ubuntu) the speakers worked.
(Since it was vanilla, I had no jack, etc. to play with...and has been so
long I had to log in as guest, so didn't attempt to install anything.)

So, I rebooted to UbStudio. Now I can start jack and get sound from the
speakers, but it's distorted.

Following is the output of jack_control dp:

--- get driver parameters (type:isset:default:value)
              device: ALSA device name (str:set:hw:0:hw:HD2)
             capture: Provide capture ports.  Optionally set device
(str:set:none:hw:PCH)
            playback: Provide playback ports.  Optionally set device
(str:set:none:hw:PCH,0)
                rate: Sample rate (uint:set:48000:44100)
              period: Frames per period (uint:set:1024:64)
            nperiods: Number of periods of playback latency (uint:set:2:2)
               hwmon: Hardware monitoring, if available
(bool:set:False:False)
             hwmeter: Hardware metering, if available (bool:set:False:False)
              duplex: Provide both capture and playback ports
(bool:set:True:True)
            softmode: Soft-mode, no xrun handling (bool:set:False:False)
             monitor: Provide monitor ports for the output
(bool:set:False:False)
              dither: Dithering mode (char:set:n:n)
          inchannels: Number of capture channels (defaults to hardware max)
(uint:notset:0:0)
         outchannels: Number of playback channels (defaults to hardware
max) (uint:notset:0:0)
              shorts: Try 16-bit samples before 32-bit
(bool:set:False:False)
       input-latency: Extra input latency (frames) (uint:notset:0:0)
      output-latency: Extra output latency (frames) (uint:notset:0:0)
         midi-driver: ALSA MIDI driver (str:notset:none:none)