[Consortium] Sounds Expo TODO list?

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Sun Feb 1 11:54:05 EST 2004

On Sunday 01 Feb 2004 11:38 am, Steve Harris wrote:
> Is there a todo list? I'm aware that I havent done anything, and I
> just realised that its next week.

Yes, quite.

I said I'd give some thought to flyers.  Needless to say, since then
I've been completely rushed off my feet trying to make Rosegarden
safe to demo to people who actually know shit about audio, and I've
had time to do very little.

I did look around for some more quotes and establish that getting
short runs of more than one design of flyer printed is indeed vastly
more expensive than getting longer runs of one design.  For example,
Azimuth Print quoted me over £260 (plus VAT) for 1000 each of four A6
designs single-sided on 150gsm, compared to £120 for 5000 of a single
design double-sided on 300gsm.

Given that we don't actually have fancy colour designs ready anyway, I
had considered whether to instead do a set of four or so mono A6
sheets each with one "screed", i.e. short bit of plain text espousing
some aspect of the software in a vaguely marketing-y style.  Without
screenshots, these could be simply laser printed on high-quality
paper (I have a laser printer and a new cartridge is cheaper than a
run of flyers...) and guillotined up at the local print shop.  Here
is an example with two possible screeds:

  http://rosegardenmusic.com/tmp/linux-screed.pdf

Let me know what you think (most urgently of course with regard to any
factual errors, but also whether too dull, too worthy, not worthy
enough etc).

I'd probably re-do a short run of the existing Rosegarden colour flyer
too, but that would be a bit separate.

(I'm also not quite sure what material we're expecting from AGNULA?)

Chris