[Consortium] Re: [linux-audio-user] a bit of a report on sounds expo 2004

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Mon Feb 16 06:32:18 EST 2004

Just to add my observations...

The event visitors were very curious about the software - as I
expected, they'd mostly heard about Linux audio but hadn't seen it
actually working; that's a big difference. My favourite quotes?

1. I use Linux at work but I didn't realise it had a graphical
interface.

2. I use Debian at home but I didn't know there were any audio
applications for it.

3. It looks really good but - (intake of breath) - how much does it
cost?

4. I can't believe I'm really meeting Steve Harris!

The response to our stand from other exhibitors was really positive,
with the exception of Mark of the Unicorn. We had a lot of enquiries
about using ALSA with MOTU hardware, and I took the opportunity of
asking the MOTU representative directly. The answer was a straight no
- they don't want to release any source code, they don't want third
party drivers written and they don't want to support any platforms
other than Mac and Windows. By contrast, M Audio were very
supportive, and we also made good contacts with AMD, the BBC, Matrox
and smaller companies.

I'd really encourage Linux users and developers to hold similar stands
at the equivalent events in other countries - a number of people
asked us if we would be at Musikmesse in Frankfurt am Main (31st
March - 3rd April):

http://musik.messefrankfurt.com/frankfurt/de/

If anyone would like to co-ordinate an approach to the organisers to
see if we can take part, please get in touch.

Cheers

Daniel