[Consortium] Next item...

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Jan 26 11:50:56 EST 2004

Dave Phillips wrote:
> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>> 3. Difficult and complicated. Very true. It doesn't bother me, infact
>> I think it is good for my DJ persona. (Apparently everyone in Korea
>> thinks I play abstract music ;] ) Did anyone complain when they
>> couldn't play a Jimi solo the first time they picked up a guitar????
>

> Intereseting analogy, because of course Hendrix introduced no new
> technique-having-to-do-with-playing-guitar (it's all blues modes and
> very few other scales). He did introduce a lot of
> technique-having-to-do-with-USING-the-guitar, most of which was pretty
> easily acquired by anyone with the same or approximate gear.

You say that now, after years of listening to his work...

> But WRT our beloved Linux audio software: it's really still a bit of a
> problem with Linux generally. I still get a fair amount of mail from
> people who are truly confused about ALSA...

Thats a seperate issue which we *should* address very soon.

>> 5. Installation: Maybe (for the trade show) we need a really big sign
>> with:
>>        --------------
>>         3 steps to Linux audio happiness
>>
>>          ./configure;make;make install
>>
>>            --- it's that simple! ---
>> ---------------
>

> Well, as long as nothing fucks up, I suppose you're right.

Which seems to happen 95% of the time for me these days. IMBBiased.

> But of
> course, things do fuck up, frequently and opaquely,

Though it is rare to find audio apps that do this nowadays [we should
fix the ones that don't]. We seemed to have learnt that it's better to
make it work from the start... (at least once we tar a package).

> and unless you're a
> seasoned Linux audio veteran you are likely to be left out in the cold
> when it comes to system analysis and fix-it time. I'm not saying any of
> that is inherently difficult, only that a procedure utterly unknown to
> the user might as well be written in Etruscan Linear B. All of which
> argues strongly for the promotion of better turn-key systems a la
> PlanetC or AGNULA.

True... #1. What would y'all consider more accesible to an LCD audience?

--------------

          3 steps to Linux audio happiness

           ./configure;make;make install

             --- it's that simple! ---

---------------

	Install simply and quickly

	 AGNULA     Planet CCRMA

	 We make it easy for you!

---------------

Maybe both are valid?

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
Http://www.boosthardware.com

Apparently upon the beginning of the barrage, the donkey broke
discipline and panicked, toppling the cart. At that point, the rockets
disconnected from the timer, leaving them strewn around the street.
Tethered to the now toppled cart, the donkey was unable to escape before
the arrival of U.S. troops.

United Press International
Rockets on donkeys hit major Baghdad sites

By P. MITCHELL PROTHERO
Published 11/21/2003 11:13 AM