[Consortium] re: a few more rants...

Daniel James daniel at mondodesigno.com
Thu Mar 4 04:51:20 EST 2004

> > it is certainly more desirable to have vendors supply drivers or
> > development samples of hardware without strings attached. but the
> > fact is, many don't.
>
> That doesn't mean we should encourage *loans* for the purpose of
> doing a driver which should be done by companies.

Perhaps should be, but isn't. Personally, I'd rather have a community
written libre software driver, created with company blessing, than a
company written closed-source driver. I don't won any nvidia cards or
chipsets for this reason.

> "You're going to
> do the driver for us, return the hw in a perfect condition and as
> soon as possible."

That's not actually what the companies I've spoken to have been
saying. In any case, given the small market share, the drivers are
worth far more to the community than they are to the company.

Cheers

Daniel