[Consortium] The Xiph.org Foundation joins Linuxaudio.org

Daniel James daniel at linuxaudio.org
Mon May 10 06:18:21 EDT 2004

May 10, 2004 - The Xiph.org Foundation has joined the Linuxaudio.org
consortium, becoming the newest member and bringing the total number
of members to nineteen.

Linuxaudio.org is a not-for-profit consortium of companies and
software projects using Linux kernel based systems and other libre
software for audio work, with an emphasis on professional tools for
the music, recording and broadcast industries. The consortium aims to
co-ordinate joint projects between members, collaborate on the
promotion of Linux based systems for audio tasks, and provide a
single point of contact for prospective industry partners.

Daniel James, Linuxaudio.org director, commented: "With the welcome
addition of the Xiph.org Foundation, our consortium now has members
working on all aspects of Linux audio. The Xiph.org Foundation codec
projects and related software perfectly complement existing members'
work on hardware, drivers, applications, plugins and Linux
distributions.  Together, we can now offer complete Linux-based
solutions to the audio industry and user communities all over the
world."

The Xiph.org Foundation is a not-for-project multimedia research and
development company, focused on the creation of next generation
codecs and tools for audio and video that are both open and
royalty-free. Current projects include the Vorbis audio codec for
general purpose audio compression, the Speex codec for voice
compression, and the Free Lossless Audio Codec (FLAC).

More information on the Linuxaudio.org consortium and the Xiph.org
Foundation can be obtained by visiting our respective websites:

http://www.linuxaudio.org/
http://www.xiph.org/

Press contacts: Daniel James at (daniel at linuxaudio dot org) and
Jack Moffitt at (jack at xiph dot org)

ends