[Consortium] Greetings, thanks, LAC report, and other important stuff...

Daniel James daniel at linuxaudio.org
Fri Apr 29 15:38:00 EDT 2005

Hi Ico,

> I would really like to see the idea of foundation happen in the next 6
> months as I believe that this would give the consortium additional leverage
> where it is most needed.

It would certainly increase credibility.

> Of course, there are other pressing matters and this is where I am hoping
> that the FSF lawyers (Andrea's contacts) may be of help.

Try the Software Freedom Law Centre. Not part of FSF as I understand it,
but run by Eben Moglen who is also counsel to the FSF.

> I would like to propose that in the next couple weeks/months we elect couple
> more officers which would fulfill some of the foundation-related functions
> in order to ensure that the consortium is as efficient as possible.

Sounds good to me - unfortunately I am rather overcomitted at the
moment, otherwise I'd volunteer to help out there.

> Concerning the logo proposal, please pardon my ignorance, but when I was
> composing my previous e-mail, I was completely unaware of the fact that
> there is an official logo for the consortium.

I don't know how official it is, but I always used the one that adorns
the top of the homepage...

> Daniel, I was
> wondering if you would be so kind as to please make the current logo
> downloadable off of the consortium's website, so that members could
> incorporate it into their homepages, if they so desired.

OK - will do.

> personally am also
> leaning towards naming the initiative "Made in Linux" (as originally
> presented at LAC), but have presented it as "Made in GNU/Linux" in my last
> e-mail after discussing the matter with some of the LAC attendees in order
> to make the initiative as all-inclusive as possible.

You'll never please everyone on that issue! I did agree with the FSF
campaign 'we speak about Free Software', although I've been using the
term 'libre software' because I think freedom comes at a cost, and if
developers want to ask for money to help them write libre software I
don't have a problem with that. Even RMS sold Emacs in the days before
he was a celebrity.

> this is definitely
> one of those matters that will hopefully be addressed by the remaining board
> members in order to reach a decision that will be to everyone's liking.

Consensus isn't always possible - that's why we have a Chair on the
management board with a casting vote...

Cheers!

Daniel