[Consortium] Re: linuxsampler and oneshotsampler

Daniel James daniel at linuxaudio.org
Fri Mar 18 04:36:38 EST 2005

Hi Blue,

> Can linuxaudio consortium help to join forces between
> linuxsampler[1] and this repository of free samples[2] (i think
> that actually is one of the biggest free sample site) so we can
> have on linux something usable similar to sampletank[3].

> [1]http://www.linuxsampler.org/
> [2]http://www.oneshotsamples.com/
> [3]http://www.sampletank.com/

I'm not familiar with the internals of the gigasampler format, but I'm
guessing that it must be possible to make these files from WAVs
provided by One Shot Samples. From that website I can see that the
maximum sample size allowed appears to be 512kb, whereas gigasampler
files can be very large - but they could be a start.

If you would like to help out with this, why not email the Linux
Sampler and One Shot Samples projects and suggest that they both
become members of linuxaudio.org? It doesn't cost them anything. (A
couple of Linux Sampler developers also work on other projects which
are existing members).

I also note the Linux Sampler project has asked for suggestions
regarding sample sources:

http://www.linuxsampler.org/instruments.html

One Shot Samples seems like an obvious link to put there, particularly
since the founder of the site is now a Linux user, and the samples
appear to be in the public domain.

Cheers

Daniel James
Director