[Consortium] Linuxaudio.org and subsites being moved to a new server

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico.bukvic at gmail.com
Wed Aug 30 00:35:48 EDT 2006

Hi all,

Just wanted to let everyone know that the server and accounts are going to
be moved in the next 48-72 hours. During this time we'll do a freeze on
account access in order to prevent any alterations to the file system in
order to ensure accurate syncing of the old and new server data. I sincerely
apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

The porting of the files will begin tomorrow afternoon (2pm-ish EST) and
will continue "until it's done." ;-) (likely no more than 48 hours)

The new server will give us better back-up, more bandwidth, and more space.

As a result of the move to a dedicated server, we will have to obliterate
account passwords, so I will issue new temporary ones to all who are
maintaining current sites. We will also streamline user names according to
the sub-sites (i.e. lad maintainer will have a login "lad" etc.). This will
enable us to easily reassign duties when such an action becomes necessary.

I will do my best to seamlessly port the existing MySQL database, but just
to be on the safe side I will also generate backups as well as keep the old
server unscathed until we know that everything is in working order on the
new server.

Again, I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

If you do have any urgent updates to do, please do them before 2pm EST
tomorrow (Wednesday, August 30, 2006).

Please note that the transition will be seamless and we do not expect any
downtime as a result of this (minus the database stuff where we'll have to
prevent any further changes in order to ensure accurate data transfer).

Many thanks for your patience and understanding!

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A. Composition

Virginia Tech

Dept. of Music - 0240

Blacksburg, VA 24061