[Consortium] Linuxaudio.org updates

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico.bukvic at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 13:03:26 EST 2006

Greetings all,

First of all, please pardon the apparent lack of traffic on this list. I am
especially embarrassed by this considering my current function within the
consortium. For what it's worth, there has been a lot happening lately, it
was simply my inability to communicate new developments due to my recent
move and starting of a new job. Now, that I am finally settled in, I am
ready to share with you the latest developments.

So, in short, Linuxaudio.org is alive and well. More importantly, it is my
pleasure to use this opportunity to announce our latest members:

*Ubuntu Linux represented by Mark Shuttleworth

*Ubuntu Studio project (ubuntustudio.com) represented by Dana Olson

*Pure-Data represented by Miller Puckette

*Frinika software project (www.frinika.com) represented by Johan Salomonsen

*(CCM)2 studios at the College-Conservatory of Music, University of
Cincinnati represented by Dr. Mara Helmuth

*Virginia Tech Music Department, represented by Prof. John Husser

A number of memberships is still pending and I will inform you as soon as
they are finalized. I would like to use this opportunity to welcome our new
members and would encourage all representatives to please subscribe to the
consortium mailing list in order to keep up with the latest updates
regarding the Linuxaudio.org. The list can be found here:

We are now in very exciting times as I feel that the consortium is finally
ready for the plan which has been proposed almost a year ago, namely to
incorporate the consortium in order to begin fund-raising for the purpose of
strengthening the consortium's mission and outreach. In order to bring this
plan to fruition, I would first of all greatly appreciate a response from
all who are currently subscribed to the consortium's lists, and more
importantly willing to be involved in the consortium beyond just
participating in the list's discussion. The purpose of this "roll call," if
you like, is very simple--in order to take the next step we will need to
generate several board seats who will oversee critical aspects of the
consortium, namely treasurer, PR representative, and secretary. Other duties
will be assigned as we expand the outreach and programs, so positions for
CD-series producer, awards manager etc. will become available as soon as we
complete the initial transition.

Please allow me to propose a roadmap for the coming months in reference to
the upcoming LAC:

BEFORE LAC (Linux Audio Conference that is to take place in late April
2006):
1) Ascertain current involvement of the consortium members
2) Use mailing list to refine current consortium's "mission statement" so
that it can accommodate the newly proposed expansion.
3) Discuss where will the consortium be incorporated
4) Seek nominees from the existing membership/board for the new board seats

AT LAC:
1) Generate Articles of Incorporation
2) Generate initial draft of bylaws
3) Start fund-raising program for the purpose of covering incorporation
charges (attorney and state fees)
4) Discuss budget ideas
5) Officially appoint nominees to the positions
6) Cover each board member's duties

FOLLOWING LAC:
1) File for 501c3 status (if filing in US) or the corresponding status as
available in the state where the consortium is to be incorporated
2) Finish registering the business
3) Begin fund-raising campaign

The reason why LAC is used as a referential point is because this year
Linuxaudio.org will present a talk in a form of annual report which will be
used as a catalyst for further discussion of the proposed developments as
well as a recruiting mechanism for new membership. For this reason, I would
like to address the aforementioned roadmap in a timely fashion.

As I mentioned earlier, a number of other ideas/projects are currently in
the works, including a potential move of the consortium's server to Virginia
Tech where we could enjoy better bandwidth and more disk space, both of
which would put us in a much better position regarding expansion and
offering enhanced content.

Please allow me to also use this opportunity to also bring your attention to
the consortium's release of the first volume of the "Made in Linux" CD
compilation titled "Tux Power!" which consists exclusively of works made
utilizing OSS software in conjunction with the Linux platform. More info on
the CD can be found on the linuxaudio.org website.

Finally, attached you will find the latest proposed logo for the
Linuxaudio.org. All of you are welcome to comment on, contribute, and/or
enhance the proposed logo. We will then vote on the selection and move from
there.

Best wishes,

Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A. Composition
Virginia Tech