[Consortium] problem about inclusion of Ubuntu

Daniel James daniel at 64studio.com
Tue Mar 21 12:50:34 EST 2006

Hi Jaromil,

> 2) i have nothing against African Words. it's just that I have problems
>    sometimes with the way they are used by colonists owning swimming
>    pools there.

Ouch! I don't know if Mark has a swimming pool, but I do know he didn't
choose to be born in South Africa, and also that he's too young to have
been responsible for apartheid.

> i recalled the issue of bounties after mentioning that we should foster
> better (equal, respectful of already existing projects, etc.)
> redistribution of resources from Ubuntu in case we include it

That could be hard to achieve given that Ubuntu/Canonical is backed by
private money and therefore has no statutory responsibility to be 'fair'
to other projects. As for existing projects, Canonical is paying a lot
of Debian developers to work on free software.

> and in
> case we do it that should not be done in the form of bounties.

If you've got suggestions for a better way of distributing resources,
I'd be glad to hear them. Is there a middle way between bounties and
having hackers under contract, i.e. in proper jobs?

Cheers!

Daniel