[Consortium] re: VST licensing progress

Daniel James daniel at 64studio.com
Fri Nov 3 09:44:59 EST 2006

Hi Ico,

> Their only suggestion was to talk to the
> German Steinberg HQ... So, apparently the Steinberg's HQs is where the IP
> decisions in respect to Steinberg are still being made

Sure, that's the right place to go, since it is supposed to be an
independent company rather than having been absorbed completely into
Yamaha. However, the fact that a Yamaha man is now MD says a lot.

> > Having said that, there is at least one existing VST on Linux
>> implementation that uses a proprietary application layer, so from
>> Steinberg's viewpoint the current SDK licence is perhaps not a
>> problematic one.

> If so, which one is it

I was referring to the Muse Research Receptor, which as far as I know
does not use any GPL'd VST compatibility code. If it does, that company
needs a solution even more than we do. It might be worth asking them how
they tackled the problem.

Cheers!

Daniel