[Consortium] re: VST licensing progress

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Fri Nov 3 09:49:19 EST 2006

> > > Having said that, there is at least one existing VST on Linux
> > > implementation that uses a proprietary application layer, so from
> > > Steinberg's viewpoint the current SDK licence is perhaps not a
> > > problematic one.
> >
> > And which also includes VST headers with its source without Steinberg's
> > explicit permission and doing so legally? If so, which one is it and how
> did
> > they pull that one off?
>
> its perfectly legal to use VST in any app.
>
> what is not legal is redistributing the headers (or any other part of
> the SDK). this redistribution is the issue for GPL'ed applications
> because it means that the authors cannot distribute all the code
> required to build the application.

Exactly! So, my question still stands, if there is such a libre audio
application which incorporates VST and distributes its source together with
the VST headers, I would love to hear how they are doing so legally (unless
they have obtained special permission from VST, which is something that
obviously does not work for us).

> i do not have any news from SSL, but i will prod the people who are
> talking to Steinberg. it will not hurt to have as many people as
> possible raising this with Steinberg - they know its an issue, they just
> have to (a) pick a license (b) use it.

In that case, as soon as I get a chance (December?), I'll try getting a hold
of Steinberg. In the meantime, do you happen to know whom are SSL talking to
(German HQ or someone else)? I would greatly appreciate any info you may
have on this one!

Best wishes,

Ico