[Consortium] re: VST licensing progress

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Sat Nov 4 00:15:53 EST 2006

> so what was required was a headerfile which was binary compatible (we
> later deviated from that), and entirely rewritten from scratch to get
> rid of the licence - which is exactly what i did. since the new header
> had also a different notation that more closely followed posix style, i
> added a python script that used regular expressions to convert old
> plugin sources to the new format.

While all this may work, the problem is once we take on this path, our
chances of actually reaching an agreement with Steinberg drop exponentially.
And if by some strange chance we are found in contempt of their license
despite all the precautions mentioned, our chances of having VST on Linux
become == 0. So, if we ever do end-up going this route (which personally I
do not think we should, or at least not at this point in time), we will need
legal advice (OSDL?).

Ultimately, I think it will be all in the way how the issue is approached.
If life has taught me anything, it is that commonly an amicable approach is
mightier than the brute force. And if it fails, we can always consider
resorting to this as our plan "B."

Best wishes,

Ico