[Consortium] VST API license

Daniel James daniel at 64studio.com
Tue Oct 3 12:46:56 EDT 2006

Hi Ico,

 > with Yamaha now owning Steinberg, we ought to have a
> better chance at making this a reality.

Also, we need to point out to Steinberg the number of embedded Linux
instruments and other audio hardware devices now available, only some of
which support VST (I know the Muse Research Receptor and the Lionstracs
Mediastation are in this category).

So far, apart from Lionstracs, I don't think any of the companies
producing these instruments or devices has made much effort on GPL
compliance, and this could turn into a major problem for adoption in the
sector if the FSF or gpl-violations.org turns its attention this way.
Not to mention the many authors of GPL software inevitably contained
within these devices, who have every right to demand that the licence
conditions be respected.

Cheers!

Daniel